Whiffle: verb – to blow lightly in puffs or gusts; noun – something light or insignificant.

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Watson and Tiger and Steve, So Far

When I launched Whiffling Straits earlier this year with a series of predictions for 2010, I promised myself I would follow-up on them as the year went along. After all, any idiot can make predictions – but it takes a special kind of idiot to go back and publicly confirm how wrong he was.

Let's start with Tom Watson. What else can I say but "I'm sorry!"? I clearly underestimated the state of Tom's game. Not only did he make the cut, comfortably, at the Dubai Desert Classic, contrary to my prediction, he tied for the low round on Sunday to  finish tied for eighth! This against a strong field that included Irish wunderkind Rory McIlroy. At literally one-third Old Tom's age (20 vs. 60), Rory managed to finish only two shots and two places ahead of Watson in a tie for sixth. Who knows, maybe Old Tom will make me look even more foolish by winning the Open Championship at St. Andrews this year! That would be cool.

(Graphic: europeantour.com – click to enlarge)

Tiger: Though we don't yet know Tiger's plan for the Masters this year, when I prognosticated that Mr. Woods would not make it to Augusta – and possibly sit out the entire season – professional pundits from here to Lake Michigan thought I was crazy. The general consensus was that Tiger would almost certainly be back for the Masters; probably, in fact, in time for the Torrey Pines event. Well, the Farmers Insurance Open has come and gone, and now at least one national sportswriter is starting to see things my way. Here's Sports Illustrated's Alan Shipnuck on Friday, writing at golf.com:
At this point I'd be stunned if he plays the Masters. If he's not back for the U.S. Open I could easily see him shutting it down until 2011.

Way to think like the Whiffler, Alan! I think the mistake most commentators are making is that they assume Tiger is thinking most about either a) his golf game/legacy, or b) his reputation/image. But if Tiger's first priority is his family, which I truly hope it is, he's gonna need plenty of time. For that reason, I think the longer he's gone the better.

UPDATE: Jason Sobel at ESPN is of a similar mind. Emphasizing that it's "purely a guess," with no "inside knowledge," Sobel writes:
... if I had to wager money on such a thing, I'd go with the 2010 Chevron World Challenge. That is Woods' own event in December, where he could control the media, the interview schedule and everything else -- and yes, it would mean he wouldn't play a single round on the PGA Tour this season.
Finally, though Steve Stricker did not win the season-opening SBS Championship, he hung on to win Northern Trust Open at historic Riviera Country Club on Sunday. I predicted he would "pick up where he left off in '09," which he certainly has with his fourth win in his last 15 starts, dating back to last season.
      It was not without a bit of the final-round drama we're accustomed to seeing from the new #2-ranked player in the world, however (Phil who?). Stricker started the round with a perhaps too-comfortable six-stroke lead over Luke Donald. Seven holes in, with Donald making three birides and Stricker carding six pars and a bogey, it was down to two. It was nice to see him respond, however, by birdieing three of the next four holes, then hold on to win by two. It was even nicer to hear so many good things said about him by Johnny Miller and Dan Hicks in the booth.
     Now, if we can just get him to prove me wrong about him not winning a major this year. How about this: Phil wins the Masters, Steve takes the U.S. Open, Old Tom finishes the job this year at the Old Course, and Padraig takes his second PGA Championship at Whistling Straits. Not that I'm making a prediction, mind you. Let's just call it a wish list.


Update: Tiger's enormous shadow was everywhere last weekend. Watch for it to pass by at the :30 mark in the clip below:

v>

2 comments:

  1. Good to see your favorite hold up so well under the gun. What I like about Stricker is that his swing is so incredibly simple that it looks like anyone could do it, even me. But, of course, looks are deceiving. Question: could Steve do a Mark O'Meara and win 2 majors in his 40s?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean, two majors in one YEAR in his 40s? Now that would be something! But the way he's playing, I wouldn't rule it out. In fact, I'll confess that for just an instant, while pondering Steve's major chances this year, I imagined him winning the grand slam. Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?

    ReplyDelete