Whiffle: verb – to blow lightly in puffs or gusts; noun – something light or insignificant.

Saturday, January 9, 2010

My One True Love (a disclaimer)

My wife used to tease me sometimes about being in love with Tiger Woods (though not so much lately). "No," I would reply, "I am merely in awe of his golfing ability. I am in love with Steve Stricker!"
     But only in an innocent man-crush kind of a way. Mrs. Whiffler has nothing to worry about – unless, of course, he were to ask me to be his caddy, in which case all bets are off. (Photo: Stan Badz/PGA TOUR/WireImage via PGA.com)
     And I have an excuse – a couple actually, maybe even three or four – for being so smitten. I've been a big fan of his ever since we were classmates (in a very loose sense of the word) at the University of Illinois. We never had any classes together, though I did see the three-time Big Ten champ at the pool hall in the Illini Union once.
     He only just popped his head in the door, but I'm pretty sure he smiled at me.

     As fate would have it, a year after I graduated I moved to Wisconsin, where I've lived ever since -- my second excuse for being such a big fan. I've followed his career closely and have had the great pleasure of meeting him on several occasions. Once was in the autograph area at the Greater Milwaukee Open (may it rest in peace), where he couldn't have been nicer (my third excuse), complimenting me on my Illini hat and chatting with me and the Golden Bear Cub for a few moments. I've also met him a couple of times at a local fundraising event for the Wisconsin Fragile X Foundation. Again, his genuine niceness was on full display; at the dinner one year he choked up pretty significantly when speaking about how blessed he is by his healthy family.
     The first time I faced him on the "Beat the Pro" hole at that event, I was so nervous I took such a large and deep divot with my 6-iron that my tee was still stuck in the middle of it when I retrieved it from the water's edge. The ball barely outdistanced the divot, and Steve was nice enough to join in my playing partners' uproarious laughter. It made me feel like, you know, like he was one of us. (I exacted my revenge the very next year, however, by placing my tee shot just inside Steve's to win a dozen Titleists and an autographed hat.
     So perhaps no one outside his immediate circle of friends and family was more delighted than I when Steve embarked on his spectacular double-comeback a few years ago. And no one is rooting harder for him to continue his upward trajectory as he moves into what I hope will be a Kenny Perry-caliber fifth decade.
     While we're on the subject, I see that the Golf FanHouse gave Stricker some love the other day. The article, "Can Stricker Steal Tiger's Thunder?" begins:
Somebody (who is actually playing golf) has to be the PGA Tour's best player. So why not Steve Stricker?
My intention is not to let this become a Steve Stricker blog, but consider this post my full disclosure. If it ever seems that Steve from Edgerton is getting a little extra love from The Whiffler ... you're probably right. Feel free to call me on it; the comments section is always open.

7 comments:

  1. Well Whiffler, I feel the same way as you. Strick can become the #1 player on tour this year if in fact Tiger doesn't come back. I do feel he needs to be more outgoing. Everyone knows what a great guy he is, but few know his true personality. He needs to take charge this year, move into the spotlight with genuine agression and confident interviews. He is so emotional, and that's great for the underdog, stop the crying. Expect to win. Bury the opposition on Sunday, and win a Major! Thanks, 9-Iron

    ReplyDelete
  2. My frustration with him the last couple of years has been that he always seemed to have trouble closing the door. He always played well when the pressure was off – like on Sunday when he's out of it – but struggled when he was in serious contention. Let's hope the three victories last year mean he's learned how to finish and will keep the winning going in 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes, It's like we had a crystal ball here. In contention but couldn't close the door. Misses the green fron 130 on 16. Misses two fairly easy putts on the back 9. Does make a critical putt on 17, but then gives it back with a par on the easiest hole, 18. 65 is great on Sunday, Just not this Sunday. Good job Strick. Keep the pressure on, and these will be wins soon enough. 9-Iron

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike great BLOG! Rob T. is getting the word out. I have in turn sent it to my golfing buddies. Agree with your favorite golfers (active)the only addition I added to my historical list is the Merry Mex Lee Trevino, my all time favorite.

    All the best...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Chris! I agree, Trevino is awesome. Trouble is, if I included every historical golfer I like in the favorites, the list would grow very long very quickly. I'll add more as I find excuses to write about them – and you've just given me a good one! Thanks for dropping by (and spreading the word).

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's Just what the Dr. ordered. A win with a big lead going into the final round. Not easy, but still a great win! Birdies when needed most. Way to close the door Strick!

    9-Iron

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! Playing with a big lead in the final round is a different kind of pressure, and Steve responded well, once he found his footing. It was nice to see him make some key birdies at a crucial point in the round. He'll be able to draw on this experience later on -- perhaps at the U.S. Open?

    ReplyDelete