Whiffle: verb – to blow lightly in puffs or gusts; noun – something light or insignificant.

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Casual Water

This is the scene The Whiffler arrived home to after work tonight. A narrow band of torrential rainstorms moved through the Milwaukee area – the LONG way – right about 5:00. I took this picture from next door, standing in at least two feet of water, because I had to park up the street since the water was so deep. There was already one car stalled in the water ahead of me.
All in all, we got off pretty easy. A few inches of water in the basement, which has already receded. And the good news is we think it's just water, not sewage. It's still raining at 9:00 with more on the way, and as I watch the local news I can see there is lots of significant flooding all around us. My brother-in-law a few miles away (the one married to my sister-in-law who was asking about the caddies) apparently has 20 inches of sewage in his basement. So we're more concerned about others than about us. Prayers are appreciated all around. Thanks.

UPDATE 2: In case anyone is concerned, we've been dealing with some water damage in the basement so I haven't had a chance to put up a new post in a while. All things considered, we feel very fortunate it wasn't worse. New posts will resume in due time.

UPDATE: For a gallery of pictures from the storm that hit Milwaukee Thursday evening, go here. A number of the pictures (but not the one shown below) are from Nicolet High School, which is a half-mile from my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment